Monday, March 4, 2013

The Hutch Reborn

So... I managed to get permanently locked out of my original project blog.  The details of how this came about are uninteresting and unimportant, so I'll just leave it unexplained.  That being the case, The Hutch of Chaos will only ever have two posts.  Only one of which was an actual project.

So here I am, staring over with a new blog.  I debated with myself over whether I should even bother with it.  I knew that to do it properly, I would have to put in a lot of time and effort, and that alone makes it kind of a ridiculous thing to do.  I have too many projects, and my solution is to take on another one?  There is a twisted sort of logic to it though, if I look at the blog as a system of organization and a way of enforcing some sort of accountability.  Then the self-deprecating part of my mind kicked in, suggesting that not only would I utterly fail at completing projects and posting them with any regularity, I would really just be making a pathetic attempt to show off.  It's hard to argue with.  It's mean and stubborn and it makes any defense thrown against it sound childish and weak.  "I am not!" or "So what if I am?" both make that nasty little voice feel like it's winning.  Wording aside, what other arguments are there?

Clearly, since I'm sitting here posting in a new blog, I either won the argument in the end or went ahead with it despite having lost.  I'm honestly not sure which.

Naming the thing was another problem.  I tried to think of something else I could use to carry on the "my projects multiply like rabbits" theme, but nothing sounded right.  Eventually I dropped that idea in favor of a single-word title, preferably a word that was made up.  I've been rather fond of the word "tatterdemalion" from the moment I first heard it, and it wasn't hard to change it up a bit. So here we are.

I don't know how long this blog will last, or how often I'll post in it.  I question my own motives.  And I have no idea how to use half the stuff on here.  If it's anything like the coat that I started back in 2006 and still haven't finished... well... I suppose time will tell.  Perhaps I will go work on that coat now.

No comments:

Post a Comment